Thursday 16 December 2010

Getting cosy

I haven't been here for days... Have you missed me?

I've been busy my dear readers, so busy. Beavering away at words all day with such concentration that by the time night (and my blogging life) arrives, my mind is far too battered to join in any further prose combat. I have instead been getting snuggled and cosy on the sofa and indulging in some festive treats.

Naturally, one can't utter the word treat without the brown stickyness of chocolate being far behind. Today I won a whole delicious box of luxury chocs in a general knowledge quiz during our team Christmas lunch. It was very handy knowing that the King of the Mice was the Nutcracker's nemesis and Rudolf was nowhere to be seen in The Night before Christmas!

While we're on the subject of tasty treats that pile on the calories. I bought a bottle of Bailey's about two months ago 'for Christmas'. It was on special offer in Sainsbury's. We managed to studiously ignore it for weeks then one relaxed evening could no longer listen to its pitiful calls from the cupboard. We opened and had a large measure each... then another the next night... and the next... Hmm. Then I had to buy another bottle...

And don't get me started on Stollen...

This post was actually going to be more about getting cosy in front of the TV, so I had best get that switched on before you all switch off. This week, my evenings have been about potted pheasant, Argentine Tango, voices of angels and ambergris*. I've sat by crackling fires, learnt how to make pewter vases, decorate Christmas trees with dried fruit and witnessed the birth of business brains.

Even the names of the presenters (notably the two chefs!) are inviting... Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Heston Blumenthal melt like toffee in the mouth after first giving you something delightful to chew over...

Ah, it has been such bliss. I don't watch much television, so this week has been rather like dipping into that box of chocolates and over-indulging. Wickedly delicious and OK if you don't do it too often.

Still to come is Saturday's Final of Strictly Come Dancing - I really can't wait!

It was tough decision to find an image to illustrate this gastronomy of delights. Would it be Artem and Kara melting into their Rhumba? The remnants of a luxury box of chocolates? In the end Hugh and his buddy with the odd sideburns won out (though I am probably depriving you of an oggle at Artem, so maybe I'll stick him on the end...)

* if you don't know what it is, I'd probably advise not to google it (you certainly wouldn't want to consider eating it afterwards - expensive delicacy or not!)


8 comments:

  1. Bit of a H W-F fan myself, but not sure about the hair-cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh chocolate and homemade stollen, just my total favourites. Saturday night viewing was perfect for me Strictly C Dancing and Merlin....alas Merlin has finished..boo hoo. If it wasn't for those awful judges full of their own ego and that Tess who hasn't got a sincere expression on her face....just pose pose pose...I would love it even more than I do. OK rant over.........lol Well until Saturday at least........Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay Lisa..always fun to hear from you and see what you are up too..you are such a shining star!!
    Victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been having fun! We all need some downtime every now and then, and yours sounds delicious! I love dark chocolate and dancing!
    Think I'll pull out the Bailey's now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my kind of girl! Chocolate and Bailey's..so many Christmas memoires in a those first few sips of Bailey's. I am now going to add it our Christmas shopping list!
    Many thanks :)

    Christmas cozy is what it is all about...I am with you there too. We pulled out the movie North and South the other night. What a fantastic movie, I think Mr. Darcy might have a rival in this one :)

    Best wishes for a wonderfully cozy Christmas!

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D
    heheh, ok i wont google it...
    you're so funny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like melting chocolate while sipping Baileys and watching a sexy tango - unless of course - you can do a sexy tango!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. It did feel very Christmassy reading your post just now. Makes me want to cozy up by my own fire with my Hot Irish Whiskey that I bought in Ireland over the summer....just for Christmas..unfortunately..it's gone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...