Monday 28 June 2010

Pictures but not many words



I wasn't going to post tonight. Not because I didn't want to, but rather I feel too tired to think words into coherent sentences. Instead, I'll just show you some recent work. I'm creating a series of cards with grungy backgrounds. I've been sticking torn old book pages on a card then layering up some paint with a brayer and paintbrush, keeping the centre fairly light. Then I drew the faces on top with coloured pencil. The top one has a wonky face. I realised I'd got the angle of her nose wrong too late to do anything about it! Never mind, it's all a learning experience and if I ever become rich I'll send her to a top Hollywood plastic surgeon for a spot of realignment! If the second girl looks familiar... no it's not the neighbour's daughter or the woman on the tills in the supermarket! I based her loosely on Venus! I've got a couple of backgrounds ready for some more. What do you think? I must say I enjoyed the creation process of these - seeing the faces come to life out of the background, yet still being a part of it... if that makes sense? (I did warn you I was tired!).
How do you feel about ripping up books to use in art? It is mildly uncomfortable... Something not quite right about it!
(Perhaps I should tweet that last sentence! It looks like it is probably under 140 characters. I'm still getting the hang of it. I wonder how many tweets were sent yesterday after England crashed out of the world cup? More than one I suspect!
Have to go now... feeling a bit wonky myself...

12 comments:

  1. love the paintings great colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a little weird tearing up books - I have done it, my sister bought some for this purpose but ended up putting them on her bookshelf and photocopying the pages she wanted!
    Love the paintings by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Art and all the Great Colors you use. I'm not big on destroying books but you really are repurposing them rather that just destroying them..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great art there, sometimes words are not necessary.As to using old book pages, it does give them a new life. There is nothing quite like the feel of old paper. I love the color and the brittleness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous...both are beautiful and unique! My fave is the first one, she has such a strong presence to her..she seems from another time and space...from another realm appearing for a moment! Beautiful!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can post pictures anytime, I'm loving these(O:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the top one! I think her nose adds even more interest to her! Great artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! Love these faces and backgrounds.There are so many old books no one will ever open.
    I work in a library I know that for a fact.
    Why not use them in art? Your wonky is working!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them both,but the top one is my favorite. I always use old books and tear them up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the expression on the first girl...I think I want to call it disdain. You know I love books...but I use them...especially the ones that are brittle and not long for this world.
    X0X

    ReplyDelete
  11. I rip up old books to use in art. I buy them at used book stores for $1 or 2 so I don't feel to bad about it. Love the first piece especially. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...