Friday 5 February 2010

With a cherry on top

It's Friday. It has been a grand week. I've been working, painting and my kitchen ceiling has finally been repaired! Not only that but I finally managed to choose which colour to paint the walls. It was a tough call between Willow Tree (which is actually blue, rather than the green you expect it to be) and Melon Sorbet. The fruity concoction won, the decorator will be here on Wednesday.

All this talk of melons leads me nicely onto my next subject - fruit! (I should have been a tv or radio presenter with link lines like that, don't you think?).

I'm hosting the Inspiration Avenue fruit challenge this week and as I wish to be the hostess with the mostest I hurried down to the greengrocers to stock up on fruity delights. As I flitted between the bananas and pineapples my mind was a blur and my mouth a salivation. What treats would my guests most desire? Sweet cherries or plump grapes? A moist mango, a palatable pear, or the nectar of an orange. I couldn't decide so I bought the lot.

Now, this greengrocer takes his reputation most seriously and being 'green' does not provide his customers with plastic carrier bags. Being a forgetful soul, I had omitted to bring anything with which to carry home my purchases so....

I put them on my head!

The spirit of this post is one of great joy and frivolity and, being a Friday and all, it fits rather snugly into Jamie Ridler's Happy Friday group too. Why not pop along there and share what made you happy this week. Well, I think you may have guessed that for me the 'cherry on top' was definitely getting fruity with my painting!

27 comments:

  1. Carmen Miranda eat your heart out! Lovely post - made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~rich...vibrant...colorful painting...i really like her big eyes inviting...almost as if saying "hhmmm what about you...could you do this"...as she is standing with ease...and her lips so red and plump like the fruit...lovely...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. *smile*
    Looks like a happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it, especially her expression!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fruit is one of my favourite things in the world too! Fruit and frivolity are a natural combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your painting!!! It brought a fruitful smile to my face!

    And by the way, I'd love to talk about retreats sometime... and I totally support you in doing one! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so fun! Love her! Definitely brought a smile to my face. Always loved Carmen. Soooo fruity and frivolous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luscious and fun - will she go on your kitchen wall? It is such a statement of abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a happy post! I love your picture--the colors, the fruit, the expressive face. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! I love it :) I must admit, even I carry my fruit like this every time I'm at the store. I mean, who doesn't?

    Mango, papaya, pineapple, plantains, mandarins, limes... among some of my most favorite!

    And p.s. Nope... never dated anyone who looked remotely close to Kurt. Haha. The part I left out was that her bestie went on to describe all the pictures of Kurt and I that I have around my house. Kids. They're so... creative?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your beautiful painting. Her eyes captivated me immediately. Thank you for adding a smile to my week. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful, fun, juicy painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is awesome your words flow so well it is like you are right here next to me. Great write up and painting!!!
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, now how cool is this? and I love your narrative!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HaHa! As I am a slow scroller (is that a word?) you really surprised me when I saw her fruity hat!

    I love her expression ~ it's as if she is daring the other ladies at the luncheon to make a snarky comment about her hat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Lisa your painting work is incredible and absolutely unique.
    Love this again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOLOL, Lisa! This is terrific! I don't know what I like better, the painting or the story! You could/should make this a children's book...seriously:)
    xox, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. So funny, I was so worried about how you were going to carry your fruit but waa laa, you solved it. nice to read on a sunday morning, I feel like fruit for breakfast now!
    great story, I love the fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, LOVE her! She is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is very Carmen Miranda! Gorgeous painting Lisa, vibrant, colourful and full of energy! She has wonderful luminous eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the story and the painting, great way to display your happiness this week, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow she is really beautiful and such fun and Mardi Gras!!!! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. You make a great Carmen Miranda. Love that expression.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love your painting. This post made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the whimsical feel of this drawing of yours. Who could think of piling bananas, oranges, cherries on a lady's head, but our Lisa. Hurray! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...