Saturday 7 November 2009

Ice Maiden

Ice Maiden: Sounds a bit heavy metal when I wanted it to be ethereal and conjuring up a sense of magic.

I've been writing about elves all week for NaNoWriMo. I should be there now - I left my travellers recovering from an attack by stinking trolls. They are about to make a new acquaintance. My lead character, provisionally named Fila (which makes her sound like some sort of pastry) has a silver streak running through her hair - the result of a powerful magical encounter.

She's a lovely thing with a binding destiny to fulfill. When I saw that this week's Inspiration Avenue challenge was 'frosty', she begged me to give her visual as well as written form. So meet Fila - as her skin is so pale, perhaps she earns the surname pasty!

Fila Pasty - frost maiden, is a mixed media creation formed magically from scrapbook papers, acrylic painting, old book (you may have noticed a slight obsession with me and bits of old book in my artwork), ink, pastels, mica and some silver stars I found in my bits & pieces pot. The mica looks much more silvery and frosty in real life, the scanner seemed to intensify the colour somehow.

16 comments:

  1. She is beautiful... I am sure her story is too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just something about elves that I love...mystery, beauty, enchantment...ohhh...looking forward to your published novel!! :)

    And what a GREAT piece of artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love mica! and love what you did here, i do also love to see in the background words so i agree with you about using books in our art as a big part in the background mostly.
    i love music notes, too.
    i kind of being trying the image transfer so far isn't completely perfect but i kind of like it that way
    i am so glad you have been doing so much writing lately and following your bliss.
    I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love what you've done here. It's wonderful to have illustration's for your book! It's sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fila is beauty personified!!! she'll fit perfectly in lothlorien :)) what a lovely entry for frosty!! ethereal, magical, mystical and feminine :)) looks like we both have some ESP goin on :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is WONDERFUL! Ice Maiden DOES conjur up magic and ethereal!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fila looks and sounds wonderful, but I think I'd encourage her to drop the Pasty second name - Fila Tart perhaps - meant in the nicest possible way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such wonderful pale colors and Fila is beautiful with her streaked hair! It really conjures up frostiness! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to meet you, Fila the Ice Maiden. It's quite hot down here (32C today) and could I borrow some ice from you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Ice Maiden suits her. I love to see your weekly submissions.
    Xo,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very ethereal and magical - I love the sparkle of the mica, and the tendrils of her hair - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. she is perfect! beautiful & magical fila (although i agree with jill - patsy just isn't in sync with the beauty she possesses). tart doesn't seem to flow either...mmmm let me think on it....fantastic "frosty" illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This piece has stolen my heart. It is so elegant and at the same time peaceful.
    Ah to meet such a lovely ice maiden in the winter would make it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She's beautiful Lisa and perfectly ethereal, name and all!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wanted to let you know, that your "Ice Maiden" inspired me to pick back up a piece I'd put on hold last year for this week's inspiration challenge. The "book page hair" is what did it.....:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments - I always love to hear what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...